Spedale di S. Gallicano (Book 9) (Day 6) (View D10) (Rione Trastevere)
The Hospital of S. Gallicano was built in 1726 with money left by Monsignor Lancisi, the doctor of Clemens XI. It had 110 beds, half for men and half for women. The view is taken from the green dot in the 1748 map below. In the description below the plate Vasi made reference to: 1) Male section of the Hospital; 2) Female section of the Hospital; 3) Back of S. Crisogono. 3) is shown in another page.
The hospital is today still used as such and is specialized in treatment of cutaneous diseases. The original fašade is unchanged.
The church is accessible only from the hospital and is an interesting work of Filippo Raguzzini, an architect from Benevento, active in Rome during the pontificate of Benedictus XIII, who knew him while he was legate in that little papal enclave in the Kingdom of Naples. Filippo Raguzzini is mainly remembered for the houses opposite S. Ignazio.
A neo classical fašade was built in the XIXth century to expand the
original building. On the top one of the very few coats of arms of
Gregorius XVI one can see in Rome.
Next plate in Book 9: Ospizio e Chiesa di S. Luigi della Nazione Francese
Next step in Day 6 itinerary: Chiesa e Convento di S. Crisogono
All images © 1999 - 2002 by Roberto Piperno. Write to email@example.com