Rione VIII Sant'Eustachio
Rione Sant'Eustachio was named after the parish church of Sant'Eustachio located at the center of the rione.
It borders to the west on Parione and Ponte,
to the north on Campo Marzio, to the east on Colonna and Pigna and to the south on
Sant'Angelo and Regola. It is therefore in a very central location.
The symbol of Rione Sant'Eustachio is a deer (read about the conversion of S. Eustachio).
Most of the buildings in the northern part of Rione Sant'Eustachio cover the ruins of the the ancient Roman baths built by Nero and modified by Alexander Severus (Terme Neroniane o Alessandrine): two columns in Piazza de' Crescenzi and a basin behind Palazzo Carpegna are the only surviving evidence of ancient Rome in this rione. The obelisk in Piazza della Rotonda comes from Rione Pigna. Rione Sant'Eustachio is characterized by large churches and palaces which can be roughly grouped as follows:
XVth century: S. Agostino.
XVIth century:S. Luigi dei Francesi; Palazzo Valle.
XVIIth century: S. Andrea della Valle; S. Carlo ai Catinari; Archiginnasio della Sapienza; Palazzo Madama.
1) SS. Sudario de' Savojardi
2) Palazzo Vidoni
3) Casa del Burcardo
4) S. Giuliano de' Fiamminghi
5) Palazzo Carpegna
6) Palazzo Madama
7) SS. Salvatore
8) Palazzo Casali
9) Collegio Germanico
10) S. Salvatore alle Coppelle
11) Palazzo Patrizi
12) Palazzo Giustiniani
13) S. Eustachio
14) Palazzo Maccarani
15) Teatro Valle
16) Collegio dei Redentoristi near S. Maria in Monterone
17) Teatro Argentina
18) Palazzo Cavallerini
19) S. Elena dei Credenzieri
20) Monastero di S. Anna
21) S. Maria in Publicolis
portal of Convento dei Teatini next to S. Andrea della Valle
Main monuments of Rione Sant'Eustachio (map rotated by 90°)
The red X mark the main changes which occurred after 1777:
a) lower part of the map: in 1926-29 the street opposite Archiginnasio della Sapienza and Palazzo Madama was enlarged by pulling down four blocks of small buildings;
b) top of the map: the narrow street between the Pantheon and Palazzi Crescenzi and Melchiorri was enlarged in the 1880s;
c) center of the map, among the red painted monuments: the street between Palazzo Caffarelli and S. Andrea della Valle on one side and Palazzo Valle on the other side was enlarged in the 1880s and in 1926-29 the building opposite the church was pulled down;
d) far right: the opening of a large road (Via Arenula) led to the pulling down of two minor churches near S. Carlo ai Catinari.
The different colours group the monuments which are shown in the same page.
You can also have a look at it from the Janiculum: Piazza Navona and S. Andrea della Valle.